Sunday, August 13, 2006

Bai Pai Thai Cooking


Oh Thai Food ! I've come home. I think my mother must have eaten Thai food during most of her pregnancy. This is the only explanation since I look nothing like a Thai. Since I'm ordering it much of the time at home in San Francisco, I figured I would give Thai cooking school a whirl. Its quite a feat to learn about all the spices and roots used in Thai cuisine. Our teacher was a wonderful, adorable Thai woman with the sweetest voice and demeanor. I have to say, galangal is my favorite. It is used in my favorite Thai dish - Tom Ka Kai - which is a spicy chicken soup with a coconut milk base and an aroma that encompasses all that is so irresistable about Thai spice. I learned to make it (along with various other dishes) during my time at Bai Pai. We actually made our own fresh coconut milk from whole coconuts...no cans allowed in Thailand!! Only the freshest of ingredients are "suitable" for the art and magic of Thai cuisine. It is an art that is taken seriously not only in taste, but in presentation. It is considered finery from the raw ingredients to the table and the Thai's never fail to deliver the best to all 5 senses !

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home