Sunday, January 22, 2006

India - Amber Fort


Amber fort, just about 10 kilometers from Jaipur, tops a hill overlooking Maotha lake. It was begun in 1592 by Raja Man Singh, who was an army commander of the reigning Emperor Akbar. It was completed by Sawai Jah Singh about two centuries later. Forts in India are the equivalent of castles in Europe. The architecture is a fusion of Mughal and Hindu architecture, typical of the many forts of this area. Amber, however is the crowning jewel of Jaipur.




We opted out of the elephant trek and braved the trail. The hike to the top of the fort was nice and easy, and a great walk after spending so much time in a car. On the path, we encountered a snake charmer who was having a little trouble getting his cobra to behave. I sat and watched as the snake uncoiled himself OUT of the basket, onto the pavement and toward my feet. I've never moved so fast in my life. The snake charmer blamed the snake's erratic behavior on the sun. I blame the snake's erratic behavior on the SNAKE !! Continuing our trek to the top, we decided not to hire a guide and try to explore the fort on our own. We probably missed some key things, but were lucky enough to come upon a guard who gave us a side tour and showed us some of the private bedrooms of the Maharajah and his 12 wives.





I found that one of the main things that struck me about the fort were the views. One things that architects strive to do is to frame spectacular views. I would say this is one of the crowning achievements of the builders of this fort. Everywhere I looked, I would see another breathtaking view through a window or doorway. The height, colors, surrounding landscape, and artistry all contribute to making the successful sight the Amber Fort continues to be throughout the centuries. The photographs really speak for themselves.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home