Sunday, December 11, 2005

Florence


Heading to Florence from Venice - because well, why not?? I remember coming here as a young girl. I was 14 and I thought this was the most wonderful place I had ever been. (I had not yet been to Venice). I returned a couple of times during the period that I studied architecture in Krakow. It is always charming to me and (in my opinion) the gelato is superior to anywhere in Italy . However, one of the only real things to do here is shop - and I'm complaining about this why???? I'm not really. BUT, believe it or not, yes, I can tire of endless days of unparalleled Italian quality goods. Its actually torture for me. Between salivating over the leather luggage and marbelized paper and sinking myself into the fur coats and cashmere sweaters, I found myself wishing I had a money tree in my back pocket. OH the humanity !!! Its just TORTURE. I found so many luxurious items, I couldn't see straight . . LITERALLY, I could not focus on one item. I just lived in the distraction of pretty things at every turn in this haven of merchandise !!

Truthfully, one cannot come to Florence and not mention the Duomo. Built over a total period of 6 centuries (the 13th through the 19th) it is a triumph of Florentine architecture. It evolved in its design over the centuries, but it eventually was credited to Brunelleschi, who designed and implemented its famous ribbed dome. The city of Florence has done a great job in guiding enthusiasts into and up inside the vast dome every day. It is a maze to traverse, but fun all the same. The view from the top of the dome is one to remember. A must see if you ever find yourself venturing through Tuscany. Florence and its Duomo are an unforgettable sight.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home