Wednesday, January 18, 2006

India - The Taj Mahal


The Road to Agra. A story unto itself. I wonder how I made it from Delhi alive ! I can still hear the echoes of the beeping horns as I think about our journey to the famous Taj Mahal. Named for Mumtaj Mahal, beloved wife of Emperor Shah Jahan, this monument to her beauty began in 1631 and was completed three decades later. It is made entirely of white marble, inlaid with lapis, carnelian, malachite and various jaspers.


We arrived in Agra via taxi, stopped to get a local guide and transferred to electric vehicles for our last mile to the Taj. Agra has been declared a Unesco World Heritage Site - not to mention one of the Seven Wonders of the World, therefore gas emissions are nowhere near the white marbled walls of India's most famous sight. We were strictly instructed by our guide about prohibited items - no cell phones, radios, tripods, matches, a list of random items. I got rid of my cell phone and my big tripod, but I didn't really think the mini-tripod would be dangerous. Upon entering security and post-pat-down, I was told I would have to surrender my ipod, my mini-tripod and a carabeaner. Go figure!! I understand not allowing electronics (especially in volatile parts of the world in precious national monument areas), but a carabeaner?? I still don't get that one. I checked my items and we made it on our way. Our anticipation built as we approached the procession to the main gate and saw the palace for the first time. It was so beautiful as it just appeared into view. We continued down the main axis, snapping shot after shot, walked around the west side and ended up inside the main tomb. After shooting about 50 pics, our guide told us this was the most photogenic building ever built. I can think of many buildings that I have spent hours photographing. . . The Chrysler Building in Manhattan, The Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur, The Capitol Building in D.C., the Bank of China Building in Hong Kong, and yes, I can definitively say for me, this belongs high on the list. All the mentioned buildings are some of my favorites, whether it be the architecture, the ornament, or the context. But the Taj Mahal is about emotion. The building is a timeless story unto itself. Walking the grounds, taking in the endless views, you see a story of undying love and devotion unfold and you admire the embodiment of that in a structure. As an architect myself, it speaks on what vision and passion can accomplish. I was surprisingly moved.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home