Thursday, February 19, 2004

Koh Phi Phi (pre-tsunami)


Ahhhhh, Koh Phi Phi. I'm sure this is going to be one of my favorite spots of all time. The plan was for my friend Laura to meet me here a day later, but she had some business to attend to and couldn't make it. SO, I ended up here alone which has turned out to be fine actually. I've been getting my open water diving certification. It has been great and I have a one-on-one with a British instructor - Leo - who is fabulous. Not only is he a great diver, he's a passionate naturalist and points out every cool marine creature he finds. Its been really fun.

I've ended up staying at the Phi Phi Princess which is SO wonderful. I can't leave out how I got here though. I was at the Tara "Resort" and while skeptical upon check-in, my fears were realized as I woke up with a prickly feeling all to discover ants crawling all over me. Needless to say, I checked out first thing in the morning and checked into the Phi Phi Princess with no regrets. I have my very own wonderful little wood bungalow - wide planked wood floors - with fresh orchids left for me every day. It has been amazing and I already know I must return.



Diving has been the best. I'm hooked. I've seen so many little fantastic creatures - starfish, moorish idols, butterfly fish, clownfish, parrotfish, and my most personal favorite, lionfish. I saw a whole school of lionfish actually which is a bit rare. They were amazing. So graceful and soft as they move through the water.
I must have eaten as this great little Thai place "Lemongrass" almost every day. The woman who runs it, Kay, is a beautiful little Thai woman who always makes me an extra juicy mango fruitshake. Her Penang is among the best I have ever had and don't even get me started on the Green Curry.


One thing I noticed unique to Koh Phi Phi are the kitties. There are cats everywhere. Large, small, and kittens!! I heard these little cries one afternoon and found this little teeny thing. I "adopted" him, gave him some milk out of my mini-bar and he has ended up staying on my porch for four days. I would love to take him home, but I doubt US customs would exactly sail me right through.


Koh Phi Phi is a wonderful little sleepy island. I can imagine tourism will take it over eventually and it will turn into Koh Samui. Hopefully not. It is so picturesque and simple and I SO hope to return. I have had breakfast on the beach every morning and just soaked in the beautiful scenery at every turn. . . the beach, the boats, the pool, and of course, the diving.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home