Monday, February 09, 2004

CCH and the Mekong River


I'm here in Phnom Penn, and I can only BEGIN to write about the things I've seen so I'm just going to try and hit the highlights here from my first trip to Cambodia. I’ve noticed through the course of my life as a Christian that blessings often come in strange, untidy packages that I would never notice had they not just blindsided me. There is an organization here – CCH (Center for Childrens’ Happiness) which is an orphanage in Phnom Penh that my friend Laura supports with her business. We had the priviledge of visiting there last Sunday. Upon my arrival, I was met with 24 resident children & each greeted me with the traditional southeast asian "wai" (praying hands and bow). I think it was at this point that they noticed. . .not only was I a westerner, I was a fair haired, light skinned, blue eyed westerner. Amidst the oohhhs and aaaahhs and instense looks, one of the older girls took my face in her hands and stared directly into my eyes. I could tell, it was the first time she had ever seen blue eyes. We all sat in the floor and played games, drew pictures, and did schoolwork. The children just wanted interaction. They didn't care what form it came in.

When the time finally came to head out on our outing and we all piled into the little mini-bus and made our way to the river port. Amidst the squeals of delight upon reaching the boat, we adults had to deal with the practical items at hand like water, food, life-jackets and simply . . head counts. It was an amazing time. The kids got to play in the water. Local woman sold us fresh jackfruit and handmade krama's (head scarves). For me, it was my first authentic initiation into this different world and culture. I can't begin to describe the contrast from the hasty way of life in the states. It was moments of being deliberate, of recognizing a precious human being, of soaking in surroundings. I'm very grateful for the day.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home